Rothwell reveals his playing idol

(Manchester United News)

Rothwell reveals his playing idol

Manchester United Under-21s midfielder Joe Rothwell has revealed his chief inspiration is former Reds star Paul Scholes.

The 20-year-old has returned from a loan spell at Blackpool and, despite going off with a knock during the 2-1 win against Everton recently, is likely to be a key figure in the Barclays Under-21 Premier League run-in, starting with Tuesday's game against West Ham United.

Coach Warren Joyce has used motivational videos this term in order to inspire his troops in training but Rothwell feels Scholes was a perfect role model.

"Warren tries to drum things into the lads and we watch a few videos before games in the gym," the local lad told ManUtd.com. "We try to get a few up on YouTube
to watch.
"I also have a few inspirations. They're mostly from when I was younger and my family was the biggest influence - my mum, dad and brother. Other than that, it's just been the coaching staff in general and Scholesy was always my biggest idol. 

"He is from the same neck of the woods as me and I always look up to him. Off the field, as well as on it."