De Gea enjoys connection with Mata and Herrera

(Manchester United News)


Manchester United goalkeeper David De Gea feels his friendship with fellow Spaniards Juan Mata and Ander Herrera is having a positive impact on the team.

The trio were unable to inspire the Reds to victory against Chelsea on Saturday, but De Gea has been in superb form all season and the link-up between Mata and Herrera has been especially effective in recent weeks.

"We all get on very well, both on and off the field, and I think that can have an influence in making the team play better," De Gea told MUTV before the clash at Stamford Bridge. 

"For example, when Juan and Ander are both playing, they have a great understanding on the field and that really helps. They know each other really well, from way back with the various youth levels of the national team.

"I think they have been combining superbly and they can achieve great things at this club. We’re really good mates and it’s marvellous to have them all here."

De Gea, Mata and Herrera are among eight Spanish-speaking players in the squad, along with Angel Di Maria, Radamel Falcao, Antonio Valencia, Marcos Rojo and Victor Valdes.

"The dressing room has changed a lot since I arrived," De Gea admitted. "There are a lot of us now who speak Spanish and it’s a real pleasure for me to be with them. It makes everything easier.

"It’s a language we are all comfortable using, especially the newer arrivals, who still struggle a bit in English. We all help each other out and it’s great to have them here."

De Gea’s outing at Chelsea was his 39th of the season and, in fact, he hasn’t missed a game for United for more than a year. But the 24-year-old insists he can cope.

"Of course, as the games rack up, you do start to feel tired, although for keepers it’s more of a mental fatigue," he said.

"But I’m young and I like to play as much as I possibly can, I enjoy my football, and let’s hope the run of playing every game continues for a long time to come."

De Gea is on the shortlist to be named PFA Players’ Player of the Year and has a good chance of retaining the Sir Matt Busby award at the club’s end-of-season ceremony.

"It’s true that last season was good for me from a personal point of view, but I think things are going quite a bit better for me this time around," he added.

"I’m competing better, performing well and my decision-making is a lot better this season. I’m happy and I’m trying to keep going in the same way and keep improving."