Van Gaal apologises after Carrick limps off

(Manchester United News)

Van Gaal apologises after Carrick limps off

Louis van Gaal has apologised for using his substitutions too early against Manchester City after Michael Carrick was forced off late on at Old Trafford.

With United leading comfortably and van Gaal out of changes, the midfielder had to head straight down the tunnel, struggling with a tight calf, leaving the Reds to play out the closing stages with 10 men. Sergio Aguero then pulled a goal back to make it 4-2 and the Dutchman says the situation took a little of the gloss off the victory as he regretted altering his side too hastily in the second half.

"At the end, Michael Carrick needed to be changed but I could not substitute him," he told MUTV. "He was very wise to step out of the game with my permission. I hope he is not injured."

The boss added on Sky Sports
: "Of course, the result [at the time] is fantastic, 4-1,"But then I had to bring Carrick off, it was a little bit stupid of me. I wanted to give all of my players minutes because they have been working so hard. Wayne [Rooney] had to play as a holding midfielder, and it was difficult.
"The second half was much better than the first and I think that, until the moment Michael went off, we were fantastic."