Valencia: We're bang in form

(Manchester United News)
Valencia: We're bang in form

Antonio Valencia has been ever-present in Manchester United’s impressive run of form over March and early April, and the winger-turned-full-back has picked out confidence as the key component in the Reds' resurgence.

Only David De Gea (30) and Wayne Rooney (26) have made more than Valencia’s 24 league appearances this season, a mark of the trust Louis van Gaal has in him.

After five successive league wins, the Reds have built some considerable momentum ahead of Sunday's big clash with crosstown rivals Manchester City, and Valencia hopes it will continue.

The Ecuadorian told MUTV: "Not only do I have the confidence of the manager and the faith he has shown in me, but I also enjoy the confidence that my team-mates and the supporters have given me.

"Confidence has been on the increase for some time; that’s down to the results we have picked up. We’ve also worked hard and that has put us in good form ahead of such an important game as the derby. Let’s hope we can perform well."

Reflecting on what has changed for the Reds to inspire impressive displays against Tottenham HotspurLiverpool and Aston Villa in the last three games, Valencia said: "From the start of the season this team has been a work in progress and we have managed to progress considerably.

"We have reached a certain standard, particularly recently, but I still don’t think we have gone as far as we can in terms of performances and we are hoping to progress even more."

Valencia has been used as a full-back for much of this season and admits the transition into a more defensive role is still taking effect.

"When I’m attacking I feel like I’m still a winger," the 29-year-old revealed. "But when I'm defending and doing my job as a full-back, that’s when I know I’ve got to concentrate that little bit harder because things are happening closer to my goal."

United are currently third in the table, eight points behind leaders Chelsea with seven games left, and Valencia was asked whether a title challenge was still on the cards.

"As long as it is mathematically possible, we will never give up the fight," he added. "It’s all about working hard and doing the right things until the end of the season."