Pearson determined to kick on

(Manchester United News)

Manchester United midfielder Ben Pearson is enjoying his loan spell at Barnsley and hoping to kick on, something that is a recurring theme when talking to the combative England Under-20 international.

Helping to inspire a charge up the table by the League One side, only halted by consecutive defeats over Easter, the on-loan youngster believes he has handled the step up from Reserves-level football with the Reds. 

"I'm loving it," he told MUTV. "I've extended the loan twice and all the lads have been great. I've been playing every game and playing well, kicking on, which is good experience. There is such a difference and I think it's the next step in my career. I needed to do it. I saw a lot of Under-21 action in the last 18 months or so and this was the next step. There is a massive fanbase here and what a club to come to. It was underachieving when I first came but we've kicked on since then."

The Tykes players have helped Pearson settle in to life at the Yorkshire club and he has coped with the change in manager after Lee Johnson replaced Danny Wilson at the Oakwell helm. 

"Since the first day, they've all been welcoming," he stated. "It's quite a young bunch – only three or four are aged over 30. I've got friendly with them all so it's just like being part of a normal team.

"It was a bit difficult at first when Danny Wilson left as he obviously brought me here. I was a bit unsure as to whether I'd move back and everything would change but the caretaker came in and was all for me playing as well. So I took that on board and now Lee Johnson has been appointed. I knew he wanted me at Oldham before so it's all been good. The gaffer has shown faith in me so I can't really complain."

Pearson is keeping track of the progress of the team he has left behind as Warren Joyce's charges sit at the top of the table. As for the future, he is unsure what will happen next season after he returns to Old Trafford.

"I've been watching all the Under-21 games and they seem to be doing well," the 20-year-old added. "I speak to quite a few of them to see how they're doing and I never lose contact with them while I'm here.

"I came here just for experience originally and hoping I could kick on. Whether next year I can be in the first-team fold, you never know, or go out on loan again, hopefully to a Championship side, so it would be good if Barnsley get promoted. I'll see what happens. I'm not tied down to anything. I just want to play my football and enjoy myself."