Luke Shaw ready to push on with United after impressing against Chelsea

(Manchester United News)


Luke Shaw is determined to build on what he considers to be his best display in a Manchester United shirt and force a regular run in the side.

The left-back has not played since the FA Cup defeat against Arsenal last month, but he made an impressive return to the side in the slender defeat to Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on Saturday – a game United dominated with no reward.

Shaw was pleased with his contribution, having worked particularly hard in the last few weeks to ensure he reaches the performance level demanded by Louis van Gaal and the player himself. And he is focused on maintaining that.

"It was my first performance for six weeks, so it was great to be back on the pitch," the defender told reporters after the game.

Asked if he felt it was his best display for the Reds, he added: "I’d like to think so. I felt really good on the pitch. I got forward a lot, but I think everyone was brilliant and we could have got more from the game. It was just one of those days – we had a lot of chances and just couldn’t put them away.

"I haven’t been playing and there have been a lot of negative comments about me. It is something that isn’t nice and I’ve tried to ignore it, and hopefully this game is the start of me coming back."

Shaw revealed he was taken off in the March cup defeat against Arsenal after feeling a niggle in his back, rather than because he wasn't fit enough, as was reported in some quarters. He credited his family, friends and van Gaal for the way he has bounced back from the difficult moments so far, and he is keen to play his part in helping the Reds end the season as strongly as possible.

"I have family and friends who are helping me on my journey and the manager has been unbelievable as well," he explained.

"Over the last three weeks, especially, I have learned a lot from him and credit goes to him for trusting me in a big game like the Chelsea one.

"You have seen what he has turned United into in recent weeks, but that is because there is real focus. You have to give 100 per cent in every training session and game and be focused all the time.

"We want to keep improving so that we can come out firing next season."