Van Gaal: Everton game will be special for Fellaini

(Manchester United News)


Marouane Fellaini may be unmoved by the prospect of returning to Everton, but Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal believes it will be a “special game” for the Belgian midfielder on Sunday.

In-form Fellaini, who played for the Toffees for five years, is set to line up for United against his former club at Goodison Park for the first time, having been an unused substitute when the Reds visited last season.

“I asked him today and he said ‘it’s a game’, but I think he doesn’t want to admit it,” van Gaal told MUTV. “He is very dry in his answers but I believe it shall be a special game.

“I hope that the fans receive him like the Chelsea fans received Juan Mata, because I like that very much. It was fantastic to see and I hope it is like that this weekend.”

Fellaini has been one of United’s outstanding players in recent weeks and van Gaal believes he’s now getting the best out of his 6ft 4in midfielder.

“I am always communicating with my players about philosophy, about performance, about attitude, about behaviour,” the boss said.

“Every player who is playing for Manchester United has qualities. I believe Marouane Fellaini has qualities and we want to the qualities of Fellaini to dominate in a team. 

"I believe that we are doing that and that's why his performances are better now.”

Mid-table Everton are also in form going into this weekend’s clash, with four wins and a draw from their last five league games, and van Gaal had words of praise for his opposite number Roberto Martinez.

“Everton are playing much better and I think that’s because of the manager having a philosophy,” van Gaal said. “When the players believe in that, they can improve.

“That is very important. He sticks to the same philosophy and I believe his players are believing in him and also that philosophy. At the end, you can see it.”