Goss recounts fairytale journey to United

(Manchester United News)

Goss recounts fairytale journey to United

Sean Goss has earned a place in Manchester United’s Under-21 side despite intense competition for midfield slots and is looking the part for Warren Joyce’s title challengers, scoring his first goal in the division against Leicester City on Monday.

Since leaving Exeter City to join his boyhood idols in 2012, the composed midfielder has earned comparisons with Michael Carrick because of his playing style and is working hard on developing both his physique and his game.

In a first major interview with Inside United, Goss exclusively recounts his route to Old Trafford and describes his progress at the Aon Training Complex…


Let’s start with your move to United – you were initially on trial and played in the AEGON Future Cup in the Netherlands for the Reds…
Yes, I came to Holland but I’d already had a few trials here [at the Aon Training Complex] before when I scored a goal and had an assist in my first practice game. So I was asked to go to the tournament with the Under-17s. We reached the final but lost on penalties and I was the one who missed the crucial spot-kick. However, I spoke to Paul McGuinness after the game and he was really happy with me overall.



So did you hope this would lead to a permanent transfer?
Paul had a chat with me afterwards and said he’d like to bring me in but there was quite a long delay. I had to go to school to take my GCSEs but all I could think about was coming up here and hopefully playing for United. To sign for the club was like a dream come true. It was a big change for me and it took me a while to settle in after moving into digs.



Was it hard to leave Exeter City because you would have been closer to their first team?
Yes, and they tried to keep me, but I’ve been a United fan my whole life and wanted to play for them, even when I was at Exeter. I never thought it would actually happen so, when the opportunity came along, I just couldn’t turn it down.



Had you been to Old Trafford as a supporter?
I came up a few times. I was picked out of a big draw to be mascot when I was about seven, to walk out at Old Trafford when Exeter drew 0-0 here, and I was buzzing. I’d been up a few times with my Dad as we’ve got family who live here as well. I remember staying over and watching United play Charlton in the last game of the season. Obviously as I’d been before, I knew what it was like.



Was the first year difficult with the Under-18s?
It was hard because I was injured for around eight months. I had a few games with the Under-17s and managed to get into the Academy team at the end of the season, which was nice to get a little taster. Obviously, I knew the next year would be big because we were all fighting for a professional contract. I had a good run in the side and scored a few goals so I felt happy and was offered the contract.



There was one purple patch in particular when you were scoring regularly…
Yes, including a last-minute winner against Everton that took us top of the table. I’d like to add more goals to my game as well but I’ve been injured this year for three or four months. I had an impingement on the back of my ankle but I’ve played a few games now in the Under-21s and just want to start adding goals to my game again.



How did you find competing in the UEFA Youth League?
I played three or four games in it and it was really good experience. It was very different to the usual league games on a Saturday as it was mirroring the first team in the way we had to fly to the games and then attend the big match afterwards. It was like we were fighting for something and felt extremely professional with a different style of play. You learn to go away in Europe, change your game and adapt to the way they play too.



The tie in Ukraine against Shakhtar Donetsk was a particular eye-opener…
I played left-back in that game, which was different for me so I had to adapt to playing in that position too. It was freezing and I’ve never played in a game like that before with those different conditions.



Did you learn from playing in an unfamiliar position?
I think it’s helped the defensive side of my game. I always used to lack that because I just liked getting on the ball but now I have got to the age where I have to do the uglier side too. There is no hiding place and Warren [Joyce] has improved me a lot. I’ve worked really hard and it just comes naturally to me now.



A couple of people have made comparisons with Michael Carrick purely in terms of your style and the way you play?
It’s a good thing to hear. Obviously, I look up to him as a player and I like to play like that. He has come down and trained with us and it gives you an idea of what it is like to be in the first team so you take notice of that. He is one of my favourite players in the first team and I do look up to him. I want to play like him as well, spreading passes, keeping the ball and trying to read the play, while getting on the ball as much as I can.



First-teamers have taken part regularly in Reserves matches this season…
It has been great playing with them all and really good experience. Rafael scored a great goal as well the other week; anybody would be proud of that one with their left foot or right foot.



How are you finding the Under-21 league in general?
I’ve had to work hard, especially after being injured for a few months. It helped me a lot when I was back training as I’d been doing a lot more running and built myself up in the gym. I felt a lot stronger when I got back. There were some frustrating times as I just want to play as many games as I can. Unfortunately, the fixture list meant there was not a game every week as well. I just had to be patient and make the most of the minutes I got to impress Warren. Playing experienced opponents makes you think a lot more about what you need to do.



You were unlucky to concede a penalty at Everton for handball. What was your view on it?
I think I tried to blame the pitch! I was quite unlucky but had to focus on my game and getting the three points as that made it 2-1. I didn’t let it affect me as it could have done and we managed to keep it tight at the back and ground out the result.



What are your aims for the run-in?
We always want to win whatever game it is – whether it is the Under-18s, UEFA Youth League or Under-21s. Our main aim is to win the league. I think it would be good for the lads as we’ve all worked hard this year and it would be nice to get the silverware at the end of the season. On a personal level, I hope I can get a few more goals because it gives you a confidence boost and makes your all-round game better.



Can you sense you’re making progress here?
I just need to work hard and impress. The thing for me, at the moment, is to keep a place in the Under-21 side. I’ve got to continue to adapt. The pace of the games, coming from Exeter, was so different that it definitely took me a while to adapt physically and mentally. When I was with Exeter, I didn’t really look at the defensive side as I was encouraged to get forward a lot more and arrive late in the box. Coming here has definitely made me a better player.