Ashley Young spreads his wings

Ashley Young spreads his wings
United’s newest centurion Ashley Young is back from injury and focused on regaining a first-team place - be it on the left wing, at left back or in his new wing-back role...

You made your 100th appearance for United in the FA Cup replay against Cambridge – how proud were you to reach that milestone?


It was a very proud moment. There are a lot of times in football that you have proud moments and reaching 100 games was brilliant. I only realised just before kick-off so it was nice to get on the pitch and get back out there [after injury].


What’s your stand-out memory from those 100 matches?


I’d have to say winning the Premier League title - it’s a feeling you can’t really explain. It’s everything that comes with it - things like the parade up and down Deansgate in the city centre, which was brilliant. It’s one of the things that I came here to achieve and to do it was fantastic. It’s something I’m determined to help the team achieve again.


How have you evolved as a player across that period? We’ve obviously seen you play in a number of different positions…


Yes that’s right. When I first came here I was a left winger but now I’ve played in quite a few positions. I think that’s how it is nowadays – players have to adapt and be able to play in different roles. I think the manager here expects you to be able to do that. I’m one of the more senior players in the squad now and in that role you want to help the younger lads. I’ve evolved in that way and I’m just enjoying my football.


How would you assess this season from a personal perspective?


I think it’s gone really well. Of course you always have that thing in your head that makes you want to do better. I’m my own worst critic – I want to play my best and I always try to do my best. Even when I’ve played well there is usually something that I think back to that I